Other Notable Post





From the WebCT I chose a couple of discussions I had with my class mates.

First, I chose this one because I felt that the text read that we were being controlled but we could stop it. This was in light of 1984 and the article by Rowe. I did spark a bit of anger in my comments but it was not intended to insult anyone:

Message no. 98
Posted by Gregory Porter on Tuesday, September 15, 2009 11:30am
Subject: Control... Slavery
As I finished reading these papers I thought why couldn't we be controlled? Weren't we the ones who enslaved a whole race? All it requires is some discipline and out smarting of us, doesn't it? I alot of questions there but I want some honest thoughts on that. We have talked about a perfect Utopia a ton already but wouldn't it mean being controlled by a higher master and how would that be done.

I believe that the timing of Orwells novel was perfect as Rorty suggests. He was in the right time of communism and the right place of US and USSR's cold war. Today, what would we write about? Iraq, 9/11, Afghan, Health Care, Gay marriage? Whatever it is, I believe we ARE a product of our environment. Generally where and how we grow determines what we believe (IE Texas generally conservative, New York generally liberal). If you go deeper into we can find that even our beliefs are determined by our parents or people we associate with. We may not realize it but we chose to associate with a certain type of person (Social Class division anyone?). Wealthy with wealth's, middle with middle, and low with low.

Howe mentions Orwell discussing 1984 before he died and he stated that " I do not believe that the kind of society I describe necessarily will arrive, but I believe ... that something resembling it could arrive.” That hit me hard. I see Orwell trying to tell us to be conscience of this society. Howe closes his argument with saying "What Orwell seems to be telling us is that it need not be if there is a sufficiently high level of human consciousness, that the experiment rests finally on that high level of human consciousness. I see no reason to disagree." Simply put DO NOT BE BRAIN DEAD. Think about what is going on, ask questions, vote that person out of office, vote someone into office, protest, blog, write, speak up etc. Do things for you and your country... Stand up.

--------------------------------------

Message no. 107[Branch from no. 98]
Posted by Manuel Luis on Tuesday, September 15, 2009 5:53pm
Subject: Re: Control... Slavery
As for the higher being controlling us, I was actually wondering the some thing, because ecen as we see in 1984, big brither does not control all. As seen simplky with Winston and his ability to see the world around him. I believe for true complete control you need to have the complete control inside and out. I dont personally don' believe that'll ever exist because we are too much of a spoiled nation for that. We're a selfish society that only cares about our own selves at heart.

-----------------------------------------

Message no. 114[Branch from no. 98]
Posted by Billimarie Robinson on Wednesday, September 16, 2009 8:52am
Subject: Re: Control... Slavery
"As I finished reading these papers I thought why couldn't we be controlled? Weren't we the ones who enslaved a whole race? All it requires is some discipline and out smarting of us, doesn't it?"

No. There are a lot more intricate and complex factors which made slavery (in this country)possible. It isn't as simple as simply suggesting "discipline" and "out-smarting"...in fact, that's downright patronizing and I am completely offended, since it doesn't seem like you're being sarcastic.

-b

------------------------------------------

Message no. 128[Branch from no. 114]
Posted by Gregory Porter on Wednesday, September 16, 2009 1:58pm
Subject: Re: Control... Slavery
In NO was i trying to be offensive. I meant it in the manor of that every person could be controlled by just shutting them up even to the extremes of death or torture. Another post mentioned North Korea as a prime example. How do you control the people, by killing those who speak up.

Apologies if I offended ANYONE. It was meant as a comparison to all of us. That we shouldn't let ourselves be controlled and stand up for it. Thousands of African Americans stood up and we as a nation acted in a way I am not proud of in any way. Hope this makes more sense

----------------------------------------

Second, I chose the posting involving Genetic mainly because a few people responded to it but also because I revealed a little bit about myself. Sometimes to understand a persons take on things you need to know about them... :


Message no. 134
Posted by Gregory Porter on Saturday, September 19, 2009 10:47am
Subject: Eugenics vs. New Genetics
Oh the debate over genetics. I for one have some issues with the research behind it. As is mentioned in the article new genetics is feared today because of the connection with the Nazi enforced eugenics. An interviewee said how there is a lack of knowledge on the subject and when he goes to a information meeting on the subject there would be people with disabilities saying if they had their way he wouldn't have been born today. I must admit, I have never been to meeting on this subject but I see that happening al over the US today and this article just talks about Britain! When I look at this concerning issue i do not believe these scientist are trying to wipe out a so called 'sickly' race of people. They are trying to make life much better for everyone. But, when we look at eugenics with the Nazis we see that people were trying to make the human race a better world (crazy Nazis, I am serious about that) but with murder. Today they are trying to do the same but at what point does it go to far to 'cure' disease? I did not see any details on how they are researching these new genetics but i believe that is where so many people
take aim. It says "totalitarian regimes and the eugenics movement were seen as
having abused genetics." That's the issue of at what point do we realize we have started to abuse genetics if we ever get to that point? Its interesting just to put some thought into it.
As we can see these new genetics is trying to give people choices to each individual. Of course this can bring up the discussion of abortion but we can save that for another day since this issue is a very divisive. But what about behavioral genetics? Its hard for me to believe that there is even just a thing. The gay gene, the fat gene, etc? I'm not scientist but it sure does seem hard to believe but maybe that is just a gene I am lacking.
I have no issue with new genetics but we as the people must keep a watchful eye on the scientist whom study this to make sure it does not go far. Of course how far is too far is up to the individual person. I say study and find cures for disease, disabilities, syndromes, etc. but do so with moral ethics and do so with great care and concern for people. I have a sister who has downsyndrome. I love her all my heart! Of course I would have loved for her to expereince this majestic world in I guess what you could call 'normal' eyes but her Begin here today with downsyndrome means nothing to me beside the fact that i Will have to be there more often than a so called 'normal' sister. I am glad to spend more time with her. Had you have been notified before your child's birth that they had downs would you have 'cancelled' that child? My mom didn't, I love and respect her more and more everyday.

---------------------------------

Message no. 136[Branch from no. 134]
Posted by Highkuhi Dzhanszyan on Sunday, September 20, 2009 2:08pm
Subject: Re: Eugenics vs. New Genetics
Well, Greg I have to say that I dont know your mom, but I really do respect people like yourself and your mom who stay dedicated to family members that have a sickness. I know that this means putting a lot more time into making sure all her needs are met and making sure that your always there when she needs you. May God give your family the strengh to do what you guys need to in order to keep your sister healthy and feeling better.

I definately agree with you on how we need to keep our eyes open on scientist who are trying to "cure diseases" and also how we need to be on top of the question, how far is too far with this whole concept. It so very important and people sometimes dont take it into consideration, but this is our world and we have to stand up to issues that we think are getting carried away.
-------------------

Message no. 144[Branch from no. 136]
Posted by Cinthya Archila on Tuesday, September 22, 2009 12:58pm
Subject: Re: Eugenics vs. New Genetics
I too commend your mothers choice. I'm sure it must be diffcult. As my
fellow classmate said, may God give you the strenght. I definately agree
with you. I dont consider children with Down Syndrom "diseased," and neither
should society. We seem to believe everything just because a well know
scientist says its true. We should be able to know from all angles and
all sides waht is going on in the world of science.

-------------------

Message no. 155[Branch from no. 134]
Posted by Gregory Porter on Wednesday, September 23, 2009 9:32am
Subject: Re: Eugenics vs. New Genetics
Thank you both. It is one of many reasons why I am proud to call this lady my mother!
-------------------

Message no. 176[Branch from no. 134]
Posted by Billimarie Robinson on Wednesday, September 23, 2009 3:42pm
Subject: Re: Eugenics vs. New Genetics
Thanks for sharing that story, Greg. Appreciate the parallel.

I agree with you when you state the obvious flaws with "new genetics" and past eugenics. There is a disturbing lack of concern for The Other's freedom. While the scientists quoted inthe article seemed to be very much aware of their own freedom (freedom to study, to probe,etc.), when it came down to abortion and behavioral genetics, there was no individuality given to their subjects. It's a blurry area which is, for me at least, extremely hard to navigate.

-b

------------

1 comments:

typewriter poetry said...

Hi Greg,

I just found this. I know it's been a while since this class but thanks for that clarification! Cheers.

-b

Post a Comment